Uptown Bounce: Rhythm & Power
Free! Join the Museum of the City of New York and El Museo Del Barrio for our free summer block party series celebrating East Harlem at the top of Museum Mile.
At the Museum of the City of New York:
In the spirit of our new exhibition, Rhythm & Power: Salsa in New York, celebrate the powerful cultural fusion that is New York salsa, featuring:
- DJ Joey Carvello of Mobile Mondays! and Christian Martir of Sociedad Records spinning a fiery mashup of Latin-infused beats
- Performances by conga player Tito Sandoval
- All-levels salsa dance lessons from legendary instructor Franck Muhel
- Activist-inspired art-making activities including the chance to collaborate with Jason Lazarus, Artist-in-Residence at the Hunter East Harlem Gallery, to recreate protest signs used in Harlem over the past 100 years
- Curator-led gallery tours
At El Museo del Barrio:
El Museo kicks off Uptown Bounce with Ashé (or àse)! Learn more about the African philosophical concept through which the Yoruba people of Nigeria conceive the power to make things happen and produce change, and create your own wearable art inspired by the symbols that are found in the artwork of our featured artist Belkis Ayón.
- Artist-in-Residence Lourdes Bernard will give a brief artist talk
- Miguel Luciano will stop by with his piragua (Puerto Rican shaved ice) cart
- DJ Bembona will spin some Latinx & Afro-Diasporadical beats
About Uptown Bounce:
Join the Museum of the City of New York and El Museo Del Barrio for our fourth annual Uptown Bounce series of free summer block parties. On four consecutive Wednesday evenings, dance to New York DJs, enjoy gallery talks, tours, art workshops, and savor summer drinks and local food. To view all of the events in the series, click here.
This event is free and open to the public but pre-registration is required.
Includes Museum admission.